WHAT IS PSYCHOSEXUAL / SEX THERAPY?
Psychosexual therapy, also known as sex therapy, is a talking therapy that focuses on addressing the psychological/emotional causes of sexual dysfunctions and working through a wide range of sex-related issues. We work on exploring and understanding the cause of a problem and utilise strategies and tools to help in overcoming the difficulty. Many people also seek sex therapy to explore their sexuality, increase their confidence, or enhance their sex lives and relationships.
Therapy can help with:
- Sexual difficulties
- Sex education
- Understanding or exploring sexuality and interests
- Compulsive sexual behaviours (sometimes referred to as sex or porn addiction)
- Managing problematic sexual behaviours
- Building self-confidence
- Intimacy after trauma/abuse
- Impact of Menopause/hormonal changes on intimacy
- Sexual intimacy after surgery, illness or injury
Common sexual difficulties include:
- Erectile Dysfunction
- Premature Ejaculation
- Difficulty ejaculating
- Vulval / Vaginal pain
- Low / no desire
- Arousal difficulties
- Sexual Aversion / Fear of intimacy
N.B. In the case of sexual dysfunction such as E.D. and vaginal pain, it is important to rule out medical/biological causes prior to approaching as psychogenic in cause.